Power Line Communication (PLC) is a data transmission technology using existing cables such as power lines, coaxial cables, twisted pair cables, etc. By using existing cables as a transmission medium, it is possible to quickly build a network at a low cost. In the case of using power lines, power and data transmission can be done with a single cable, which can reduce the types of cables in a network.
HD-PLC is an abbreviation for High Definition Power line Communication and it is one of the broadband PLC technologies. This is IEEE 1901 compliant and uses Wavelet OFDM as a modulation method. With the latest technology (Flexible Channel Wavelet: FCW), it is possible to switch between long-range and high-speed communication with a single IP core. It enables users to select the optimal mode according to transmission characteristics.
HD-PLC has two types of network topologies, “HD-PLC Complete” and “HD-PLC Multi-hop”.
HD-PLC Complete network consists of individual nodes that communicate with each other one-to-one directly. The maximum number of terminals that can connect to one master is 128 and the maximum communication speed is 95Mbps with UDP / 70Mbps with TCP.
HD-PLC Multi-hop network constructs a tree structure with a master as the apex and it realizes long-range communication by relaying data (Maximum 10 hops). Besides, since up to 1024 terminals can be connected to one master, it is possible to build a larger network. The maximum communication speed is 35Mbps with UDP / 25Mbps with TCP.
- Higher speed than narrowband PLCs
- Longer range than other broadband PLCs
- Having both modes of High-speed and Long-range (Selectable)
By the combination of two technologies “Multi-hop” and “Flexible Channel Wavelet”, HD-PLC can be applied to various IoT applications without limiting their use.
- Lower installation cost: Installing new cables and HUBs for relaying is not needed.
- Higher security: There is little risk of data eavesdropping and falsification.
- Stability: The change of transmission characteristics due to the surrounding environment is small, so a constant performance is maintained.
- Complementary to Wireless: Data transmission using existing cables installed there is possible even in areas where radio waves are hard to reach (e.g., underground, elevator, steel ship, etc.).
HD-PLC can provide an optimal solution as a new option to those who have concerns about interference and security in Wi-Fi networks but feel the cost of a network using Ethernet is high.